We serve, advise and inform lawyers, clients, law firms and the law departments of businesses concerning the complicated and evolving standards of legal practice. Our lawyers provide timely answers to difficult questions in the form of opinions, second opinions or simple recommendations. In disputed matters, we provide expert witness, and mediator and arbitrator service. We are available to serve as counsel when standards of practice are at issue, in malpractice and disciplinary matters. We also are committed to providing information to maintain and elevate legal ethics and professional responsibility by offering both topical and general training to law departments and law firms.
In the modern quick-response landscape, attorneys must successfully and simultaneously meet the standard of care that applies to their chosen practice area, while also ensuring that their conduct always satisfies the complex and detailed regulatory requirements of each state's version of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct. Our attorneys in this practice bring decades of experience in responding to daily inquiries and issues of lawyers and clients that arise in a large firm environment.
We bring balanced practical experience, with service on both sides of the relationship. We have advised lawyers and law firms and in-house counsel, and have served in law firm leadership capacities ranging from practice leader and office managing partner to managing partner of an AmLaw 125 firm. We have also represented and advised both lawyers and their clients in litigated matters.
The Legal Ethics Project
Supporting Professionalism with Information
As part of our commitment to the profession to elevate and maintain a high level of legal ethics, we go beyond simply offering services for hire. Through our Legal Ethics Project, we support the professionalism of the practice with helpful information. This includes our Dear Ethics Lawyer™ bi-monthly newsletter series that explores ethics problems and answers. We invite you to join the mailing list for this service by subscribing to our bi-monthly newsletter. You can also submit questions and interact with us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Legal Ethics Project also includes continuing legal education presentations on a variety of topics to various organizations and groups.
The experience and capabilities of our team members includes:
- Service as General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel of major law firms, responding to daily inquiries, disputes and challenges concerning the practice of law in a law firm environment
- Service as Managing Partner, Practice Leader and Office Managing Partner of a large law firm, gaining the practical perspective of leadership in risk management
- In malpractice cases and disputes, we have served as counsel for lawyers and law firms, and as counsel for affected clients Representation of clients in lawyer disciplinary proceedings
- Engagement and service as testifying and consulting expert witness
- Provision of opinions and recommendations to lawyers, law firms and corporate law departments about matters of legal ethics, attorney-client privilege and reporting obligations
- Mediation and arbitration of disputes
- Substantial trial experience across a wide spectrum of disputes, including two team members recognized as Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), with service as chairs of national committees of the ACTL
- Delivery of hundreds of continuing legal education programs on a host of relevant topics. One long-running series of programs, "Ethics for Good," began in 2000 and has evolved into a stage show that has not only provided interesting and timely content, it has also raised nearly $1 million in proceeds for charity
- Involvement in state and national level professional organizations concerning legal ethics and
News & Insights
- In the News01.13.2023
- In the News01.04.2023
- In the News12.09.2022
- In the News11.04.2022
- In the News10.04.2022
- In the News09.26.2022
- In the News09.21.2022
- In the News08.15.2022
- In the News08.10.2022
Legal Ethics Project
Legal Ethics Project
Supporting professionalism with information.
The twice-monthly "Dear Ethics Lawyer" column is part of a training regimen of the Legal Ethics Project and is authored by Mark Hinderks. Stinson's Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility practice offers advice and "second opinions" to lawyers and law firms, consulting and testifying expert service, training, mediation/arbitration and representation in malpractice litigation. The submission of questions for future columns is welcome: please send to email@example.com.
Discussion presented here is based on the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct, but the Model Rules are adopted in different and amended versions, and interpreted in different ways in various places. Always check the rules and authorities applicable in your relevant jurisdiction – the result may be completely different.