We blend strong knowledge of state and federal government to navigate complex regulatory and legislative challenges and achieve our clients’ business goals. Our counsel spans legislative and agency representation, contract negotiation and enforcement actions, and federal legislative and policy matters. We help our clients work with state and federal government to enhance their respective market positions.
Our bipartisan team of attorneys and government solutions professionals includes former government officials at state executive and legislative branches. They leverage an extensive network of contacts in the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government to formulate comprehensive solutions regarding policy and legislative priorities for transportation, health care, tax, energy, environment, financial services and state and local economic development projects. Our team is frequently called upon as lobbyists to litigate over state law and to help our clients work through often complex regulatory and legislative challenges to enhance their market positions.
- Develop and craft legislative proposals at all stages of the process.
- Write complex bills, draft amendments, testify before committees and build coalitions to enact major reforms.
- Counsel on legislative procedure and advise on strategies used to stop proposals that threaten your business.
- For private sector clients, we review and draft economic development legislation, including the preparation of comprehensive bill reviews.
- Our team understands the different administrative agency methods of practice. We have experience with a wide range of administrative proceedings and a proven record of succeeding before agency tribunals.
- Provide representation for professional and entity licensing matters, bid protests and investigative demands from state agencies such as an attorney general's office, state security regulator or other administrative bodies.
- Advise clients on the state open records and open meetings laws.
Economic Development Incentives
- We are knowledgeable about local and state financial incentives, such as tax credits, deductions and exemptions.
- We can identify programs, evaluate proposals and options, and negotiate with government entities to help get you the best deal.
- We move quickly to help you identify the issues that are of concern to the government and to control the investigation.
- We can assist with internal investigations before, or parallel to, government investigations and help you determine the best way to respond to investigative demands.
- Our Government Solutions attorneys represent clients in multi-state consumer fraud and antitrust matters, challenges to statutory schemes, defense of licensing actions, temporary restraining orders, emergency writs and all forms of litigation with government entities.
- We provide representation in professional license discipline cases, securities regulation issues, litigation challenging bid awards, Medicaid reimbursement disputes, and other litigation challenging or responding to state government action.
- Our Government Solutions team works with decision-makers in every capitol in our eight-state footprint – Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and North Dakota – as well as Washington, D.C.
Our Federal Affairs group champions the issues that impact our clients' businesses and industries. The team has strong working relationships with key members of Congress and works regularly with Democratic and Republican leaders and key members serving on strategic committees in the House and Senate. Our attorneys advocate before the administration, Congress, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Department of Energy (DOE), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and federal courts. The team works seamlessly with Stinson attorneys focused on federal law, including environmental, employment and labor, real estate, municipal and tax issues.
Federal Affairs Experience
Our Federal Affairs team represents clients on federal issues, including:
- Administrative law
- Collections against foreign governments
- Congressional investigations
- Corporate immigration
- Food safety
- Regulatory law
- We monitor proposed rule changes and alert clients to new proposed rules, helping them understand how the changes may impact their industries.
- We draft comments, identify coalitions and testify before agencies and legislative committees that oversee rulemaking.
- If we cannot persuade agencies to understand the impact of poorly planned rules, our seasoned litigators can challenge administrative rules in court in an effort to stop those that adversely impact our clients.
Pursuing, winning, and successfully performing government contracts, grants or agreements requires a thorough understanding of the complexities of the government contracting process and applicable law. Stinson’s Government Contracts and Investigations practice helps fill this need for large and small businesses, not-for-profit entities, academic institutions, and organizations, guiding them through the thicket of procedures and requirements they face when doing business with the government. Learn More.
- Paul D. CassidyGovernment Relations Director
- Andrew ChelsethGovernment Relations Director
- Alixandra S. CossetteAssociate
- Susan Warshaw EbnerPartner
- Jeremy EstensonGovernment Relations Director
- H. Russell Frisby, Jr.Partner
- Charles W. HatfieldPartner
- Suzanna KennedyLegislative Coordinator
- Joshua S. KimOf Counsel
- Todd W. MartinPartner
- Erin M. NaegerAssociate
- Jeremy A. RootPartner
- Andrew J. ScavottoPartner
- Peter H. ThranePartner
- Jonathan P. TrottaPartner
- Lauren WeaverGovernment Relations Associate
News & Insights
- Press Release01.08.2019
- Press Release12.17.2018
- Press Release07.13.2018
- Press Release11.01.2017
- In the News08.01.2017
- Press Release11.02.2015
- Press Release02.03.2014
- Firm Events10.23.2018
- Firm Events06.20.2018
- Speaking Engagement05.16.2018
- Firm Events04.12.2018
- Firm Events02.21.2018