Chuck Hatfield is recognized by Chambers USA as "the preeminent government relations litigator in Missouri." He draws on 25 years' experience litigating and negotiating very high-profile cases, primarily involving some sort of government action, to offer clients a broad and insightful perspective on Missouri's judiciary and broader government relations.
In its annual 100+ List, The Missouri Times newspaper stated: Chuck Hatfield's "time at the highest levels of state government have made him very sought after as an attorney in private practice. There is probably no attorney who knows more members of the judiciary and the executive branch in the state. He is also known for his quick wit on social media and willingness to take on tough cases." He has personally handled numerous cases before the Missouri Supreme Court. Chuck regularly appears before administrative agencies, as well as trial and appellate courts at both the state and federal levels.
In his regulatory practice, Chuck has handled matters involving every department of Missouri government. As an outgrowth of his regulatory-based litigation, Chuck is a highly-rated commercial litigator. He defends complex high-stakes litigation, including class actions involving regulated industries such as securities, insurance and merchandising practices. He chairs the firm's Financial Services and Class Action Litigation division and its Government Solutions group.
Chuck understands the importance of providing great legal service and value to his clients. As an attorney certified in Legal Project Management (LPM), he has been trained in matter budgeting and management in order to provide transparency and efficiency to his clients.
- Chuck represented a Fortune 1000 financial services firm for several years in a series of government investigations and lawsuits related to the default of government-issued bonds.
- He has represented numerous insurance companies in investigations, financial and market conduct examinations and contested case proceedings.
- He has successfully handled several government procurement lawsuits with values ranging into the hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Chuck regularly counsels clients in investigations and litigation involving the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act (MMPA).
- He has handled multiple class action lawsuits at both the state and federal level.
- He regularly represents clients in breach of contract actions.
Election and Political Law
- Chuck served as lead counsel before the Missouri Supreme Court in a lawsuit to successfully force Missouri officials to provide expanded Medicaid coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
- Served as lead counsel before the Missouri Supreme Court in Legends Bank v. State, a successful challenge to the constitutionality of campaign finance and ethics legislation.
- He brought a successful First Amendment challenge to a Missouri Constitutional amendment, prevailing both in the Federal District Court and at the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- He has represented dozens of clients in Missouri's initiative petition process, writing proposed changes to Missouri law and litigating initiative petition and signature challenges.
News & Insights
- Press Release06.05.2023
- Press Release02.10.2023
- Press Release12.19.2022
- Press Release08.19.2022
- Press Release08.18.2022
- Press Release08.18.2022
- Press Release06.02.2022
- In the News04.20.2022
- Press Release02.28.2022
- Press Release12.06.2021
- In the News12.03.2021
- Press Release08.19.2021
- Press Release05.26.2021
- Press Release05.25.2021
- In the News04.07.2021
- Press Release02.23.2021
- In the News10.16.2020
- Press Release08.20.2020
- Press Release03.12.2020
- Press Release08.15.2019
- Press Release12.17.2018
- Press Release08.27.2018
- Press Release08.23.2018
- Press Release07.13.2018
"A Cleaner Missouri? Redistricting: What We Can Expect," 2021 Federalist Society Missouri State Conference, March 8, 2021
"Dealing With Government Investigations," ACC St Louis Chapter, 2018 Corporate Counsel Institute, May 16, 2018
"Raise Your Hand if You are Contributing – FEC Dismissal of Charges Offers Insight about Coercing Contributions to your PAC" – Stinson Leonard Street Insight, July, 2016
"Protestors at Your Door—First Amendment Law Insight," Stinson Leonard Street Insight, November 2015
"Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America, 2023
Listed in the 2021-2022 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Litigation: General Commercial
Missouri Lawyers Weekly Appellate Law "POWER LIST"
Lawyer of the Year by Missouri Lawyers Weekly
Best Lawyers in America© – Commercial Litigation, Government Relations and Non-Profit/Charities Law
Martindale-Hubbell A/V rated
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
Missouri Supreme Court Historic Preservation Committee
Missouri Society of Health Care Attorneys
The Missouri Bar
Practices & Industries
- Class Action
- Government Solutions
- Business Litigation
- Coronavirus Task Force
- Government Contracts & Investigations
- Insurance & Health Plans
- Insurance Class Action & Litigation
- Insurance Regulatory & Enforcement
- Insurance Transactions
- Securities Litigation, Arbitration & Enforcement Actions
- White Collar Criminal Defense & Special Investigations
- Missouri, 1993
- Kansas, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
University of Missouri-Columbia, J.D., 1993
- Journal of Dispute Resolution
University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A., cum laude, 1989
- Phi Beta Kappa