Scot is a results-oriented legal advisor who helps companies meet their business objectives.
Scot's common sense business advice has helped large and small businesses achieve their goals while solving the legal problems (and capitalizing on the legal opportunities) that affect their businesses.
Scot helps fashion agreements to meet the needs of clients, big and small—from public companies to the new entrepreneur starting out. Scot lives and breathes the world of contracts—purchase agreements, joint ventures, executive employment agreements, entity formation, etc.
Scot's experience and knowledge spans a wide range of industries all across North America (and sometimes beyond). For example, Scot has assisted clients selling their companies engaged in such diverse industries as pet food in Alaska, hockey equipment in Canada, offshore oil gathering platforms in the Gulf of Mexico, and countless other industries across the Heartland.
Scot also helps companies in their day-to-day contracting needs. For example, Scot has significant experience in such industries as professional sports (primarily major league baseball), energy (both traditional and renewable) and agricultural commodities.
Scot is co-chair of the firm's Sports & Recreation practice group.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Scot has led many transactions involving the acquisition and divestiture of numerous private and public companies in various regulated and unregulated industries. Scot has represented buyers and sellers in such diverse businesses as e-commerce services, consumer products, insurance services, consumer money transfer services, retail propane, natural gas storage and pipelines, ethanol production, railroads and grain elevators. For example, Scot has:
- Represented an insurance services company in the rollup of numerous other insurance services companies
- Represented a private company in its rollup of numerous small digital marketing companies (followed by the sale of the private company itself)
- Represented a public company in its purchase of numerous natural gas storage facilities
- Represented a public company in its purchase of a consumer money transfer company for $500 million
- Represented a public company in its purchase of another publicly-traded propane company valued at $480 million
- Represented a private company in the liquidation of its gas station businesses
- Represented a private company in the sale of its microelectronics business
- Represented a short line railroad in connection with its purchase of another short line railroad
Scot has significant experience in negotiating and documenting joint venture arrangements. For example, Scot has:
- Assisted with joint ventures in connection with major capital projects, including the Kansas City International Airport, grain terminals, water infrastructure facilities, and crude processing transloading facilities
- Assisted with joint ventures involving service companies, including e-commerce, title insurance, and railcar repair services
Scot has extensive experience negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements used in many industries (e.g., agricultural commodities, energy commodities such as ethanol and biodiesel, sports sponsorship agreements, and various service provider agreements).
News & Insights
"Representation and Warranty Insurance"
"Governance Issues in Joint Ventures"
"2016 Commercial Contracts Update"
"2014 M&A Update"
"Proper Organization and Staffing of Subsidiaries"
"Due Diligence for Corporate Transactions"
"Negotiating and Drafting Employment Agreements"
"Choice of Entity and LLC Basics"
“Applied Modern Legal Drafting”
“Legal Writing Workshop”
“Legal Writing Style and Usage”
Co-author of "UCC Article 2A - Leases of Goods," Missouri Practice Series: Methods of Practice – Transaction Guide, Fourth Edition, West Publishing Company.
Co-author of "Buying or Selling a Business," Missouri Practice Series: Methods of Practice – Transaction Guide, Fourth Edition, West Publishing Company.
Selected as a Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers© “Rising Star” for Mergers and Acquisitions, 2008-2010
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
Colonial Presbyterian Church
Mercury Club of Kansas City, Past President
Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce Centurions Leadership Program, 2007 Graduate
Federalist Society for Law & Public Policy Studies
Association for Corporate Growth
Practices & Industries
- Missouri, 1998
- Kansas, 1999
- Texas, 2017
University of Michigan, J.D., 1998
University of Kansas, B.A., with honors and highest distinction, 1994