Clients value David’s steady and thoughtful approach to projects and his dependable and responsive client service.
David has deep experience leading clients through strategic transactions of all structures and types. Much of David’s practice involves representing strategic acquirers executing growth plans through serial acquisitions to expand their geographic footprints or service or product offerings. David also represents private equity funds executing platform acquisitions and add-on transactions. David is well versed in equity rollovers, stock for stock transactions, and the various forms of traditional asset purchase, equity purchase, and merger transactions. He takes a practical approach to his business representation and knows how to work effectively with a variety of personality types to successfully close deals.
David is a seasoned private securities lawyer who often assists his clients in raising capital from investors through exempt offerings of securities to provide growth capital, including in connection with real estate developments and joint ventures.
In addition to his M&A and securities work, David provides general corporate counseling to growing companies and family businesses and often leads clients through the negotiation of limited liability company and similar business agreements and arrangements. Many of David’s clients think of him as their outside general counsel or as an extension of their in-house general counsel’s office.
David's counsel extends to a range of business sectors, including media production and broadcasting, high-tech and industrial manufacturing, financial products and services, restaurant and hospitality services, medical technology, software development, commercial services, and construction services and materials.
Clients value David’s steady and practical approach, his relentless drive to see deals through to conclusion, and his ability to lead and manage the team through fast-paced and complex transactions.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Securities Transactions
- Represented public company in multiple strategic acquisitions to expand geographic footprint and product and service offerings.
- Represented private equity fund in portfolio company acquisition.
- Represented real estate developer in connection with multiple capital raises and joint ventures for development projects.
- Represented self-storage conglomerate in numerous acquisitions and related private offerings.
- Represented private equity portfolio company in multiple platform and add-on acquisitions.
- Represented G&K Services, Inc. in its $2.2 billion merger with Cintas Corporation.
- Represented Two Harbors Investment Corp. (NYSE: TWO) in connection with over $3 billion in securities transactions.
- Represented construction services and materials company in a series of acquisitions.
- Represented Granite Point Mortgage Trust Inc. (NYSE: GPMT) in connection with public offerings of equity and debt securities.
- Represented Enventis Corporation (NASDAQ: ENVE) in its $350 million stock-for-stock merger with Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: CNSL).
- Represented Hubbard Broadcasting, Inc. in its radio station acquisition program, advising on acquisitions of 52 radio stations with an aggregate value of more than $740 million to date, and in its venture investment program.
Investment Management Experience
- Represented broker-dealer in over 50 private placements, primarily for medical device and technology companies.
Hospitality & Leisure Industry Experience
- Represented start-up fast-casual restaurant concept in connection with formation, capital raising, expansion to multiple locations, and ongoing operations.
- Represented sellers in connection with the sale of multiple franchised fast food restaurants.
- Represented restaurateurs in connection with refinancing and structuring of two St. Paul restaurants.
- Represented a number of restaurateurs in connection with capital raising, leasing, buy-outs, and restructurings.
- Represented real estate developer in private offering of securities to raise capital in connection with multiple resort properties.
News & Insights
- Press Release07.19.2021
- Press Release05.06.2020
- Press Release09.30.2019
- Press Release12.20.2017
- Press Release07.27.2017
- Press Release07.07.2017
- Press Release03.07.2017
- Press Release01.23.2017
- Press Release08.22.2016
"M&A in 2021 – New Challenges and Opportunities Webinar," Association for Corporate Counsel (ACC) Minnesota webinar, March 2021
“Proxy Rules and Practice Update,” Stinson Leonard Street Directors’ Institute and 2019 Proxy Season Workshop, December 2018
“Securities Law Basics for Real Estate Lawyers,” Minnesota Real Estate Institute, November 2018
“How to Update an Old Member Control Agreement for Use Under the New LLC Act,” Minnesota Real Estate Institute, November 2017
“2017 Securities Law Updates,” Stinson Leonard Street Business Law Update Seminar, April 2017
“The New Minnesota LLC Act: Top 10 Things to Know,” Minnesota Real Estate Institute, November 2016
“Operating Agreements under Chapter 322C: 7 Key Items,” Minnesota Real Estate Institute, November 2016
“2016 Corporate Law and Governance Update,” Stinson Leonard Street Business Law Update Seminar, April 2016
"Real Estate Deals: Structuring the Operating Agreement in a Joint Venture LLC," Minnesota Real Estate Institute, October 2015
"The New Minnesota LLC Act," Minnesota Real Estate Institute, October 2015
"Transfers and the Rights of Transferees and Creditors Under Chapter 322C," The New Minnesota LLC Act Seminar, August 2015
"The New LLC Act Adopted in Minnesota and 13 Other States," June 2015
"Tools and Tips: The New Minnesota LLC Act," June 2015
"Minnesota’s New LLC Act," Stinson Leonard Street Business Law Update Seminar, April 2015
"Securities Law for Business Lawyers," Minnesota Closely Held Business Conference, October 2014
"Proposed Amendments to the Minnesota Business Corporation Act," Business Law Institute, May 2014
- Firm Events12.06.2018
"Paycheck Protection Program – What Has Changed?" Stinson's Government Contracting Matters Blog, February 14, 2021
"New Law Makes Major Changes to the Paycheck Protection Program," Stinson's Government Contracting Matters Blog, June 11, 2020
"Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Small Business Provisions," Stinson's Government Contracting Matters Blog, April 3, 2020
"Impact of the New Revenue Recognition Standard on M&A," Law360, 2017
"Planning for 2018 Proxy Season: Some Considerations,” Law360, September 2017
"New LLC Law Warrants Updating Existing Documents," Upsizemag.com, July 2017
"Why You May Need an LLC Update in 2017," Bench & Bar of Minnesota, May/June 2017
Co-Author, "Minnesota Adopts Crowdfunding Law: What Does it Mean for You and Your Clients?," MNCPA Footnote, November 2015
"The SEC Gets Aggressive with Unregistered Brokers," Law360, July 2015
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
American Bar Association
Hennepin County Bar Association
Society for Corporate Governance
Practices & Industries
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2008
- Minnesota Law Review, Note and Comment Editor
University of North Dakota, B.A., summa cum laude, English, Latin, and Secondary Education, 2005