We represent health insurance companies, health plans, hospitals, pharmacy benefits managers, health care providers, pharmaceutical and life sciences companies, health-related trade associations, administrators of self-funded plans, plan fiduciaries, and an array of other businesses in health industry-related issues. Our clients repeatedly turn to us because of our deep understanding of the health care industry, our tireless devotion to every case and the results we deliver.
Understanding the complex laws governing the licensing, operations and reimbursement procedures of health care institutions and professionals, we litigate antitrust and unfair competition claims, handle medical staff and hospital governance matters, and manage regulatory ERISA/benefits and group health plan disputes. Our attorneys, including many former Assistant United States Attorneys, skillfully resolve investigations involving alleged fraud, waste and abuse, and claims by the federal government and whistleblowers under the qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act.
Our attorneys have the knowledge and skills necessary to defend health care clients through virtually any phase of their business or endeavor, partnering with the lawyers in the firm's Health Law practice to provide an impressive level of depth and experience. We work closely with our clients to manage litigation challenges and pursue the most efficient path to success.
We represent health insurance companies, health plans, hospitals, pharmacy benefits managers, health care providers, pharmaceutical and life sciences companies, health-related trade associations, administrators of self-funded plans, plan fiduciaries, and an array of other businesses in health industry-related issues, including:
- In a case of first impression in Minnesota, obtained summary judgment for a hospital regarding a medical staff bylaws dispute, decision was unanimously affirmed by the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended hospitals and health care plans in a variety of contract and antitrust disputes.
- Represented a hospice provider in a False Claims Act whistleblower suit ultimately prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice, in which the government sought tens of millions in Medicare reimbursement.
- Handled ERISA and non-ERISA disputes for group health plans and their third party administrators.
- Represented Pharmaceutical Benefit Managers (PBM’s) in mis-fill litigation and various contract disputes. Representative case: Geiken v. Tharaldson Employee Management Co.
- Successfully represented numerous doctors, dentists and mental health counselors in governmental investigations and licensure actions.
- Represented a major Midwest medical practice in physician termination matters.
- Won a rare reversal on adverse medical licensing decision in favor of physician.