Zane’s energy and passion are palpable, whether he is representing clients venturing into new industries or engaged in pro bono work.
With a background in securities, banking and compliance, Zane is an experienced litigator representing financial services firms and others in highly regulated industries. Clients seek his advice on emerging legal issues to learn how existing frameworks will apply to new industries, such as legalized cannabis. Zane’s wealth of experience and his keen interest in developing areas of law make him a highly sought after commentator, writer, speaker, and lecturer.
Zane represents individuals and companies in high-stakes litigation involving business and investment disputes, banks and other financial institutions, cannabis investors, and others. He handles class actions and cases involving fraud, mismanagement and regulatory compliance. Additionally, Zane serves on the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Zane recently prevailed for a bank client in the Colorado Court of Appeals, winning the case, as well as attorneys’ fees and costs.
His deep background in financial services litigation is a boon when it comes to high-stakes litigation, including consumer class action defense, regulatory compliance, and actions involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Zane advises clients in the financial services, real estate, tech, health care, and agriculture industries on regulatory, compliance and litigation related to state-licensed marijuana-related businesses. He has designed and implemented marijuana and hemp financial programs for banks and credit unions across the country, assisted fintech companies in navigating cannabis regulations, represented licensed marijuana companies and individuals in litigation and regulatory actions, and has been instrumental in helping the industry develop.
News & Insights
- In the News03.26.2020
- Press Release03.13.2020
- In the News03.12.2020
- Press Release03.12.2020
- Press Release01.03.2017
"Marijuana and Hemp Banking: Navigating the Legal and Regulatory Challenges," Bankers' Bank of the West Webinar, May 13, 2020
"Challenges and Opportunities in the 'Next Normal,'" ACC Colorado Webinar, May 5, 2020
"Prepaid Compliance in a Crisis & Beyond," Innovative Payments Association, April 30, 2020
Presenter, "COVID-19 'Reopening' Best practices," Independent Bankers of Colorado Webinar, April 24, 2020
"How High is the Risk? Banking the Legal Cannabis Industry," ICBA Live, March 2020
"Banking with Hemp" Webinar, Colorado Bankers Association, January 2020
"Adapting to the Rapidly Changing Compliance Landscape Involving Marijuana and Marijuana-Related Businesses," ACAMs Webinar, November 2019
Moderator, "Cannabis Panel," the Trigild Fall Lender Conference, October 2019
"Marijuana and Hemp Legalization," Farm Credit Counsel, September 2019
"How High is the Risk? Banking the Legal Cannabis Industry," Independent Community Bankers Association Lead Forward Summit, September 2019
"Legal Implications," Colorado Bankers Association Marijuana & Banking Conference, August 2019
"Hemp/Marijuana Banking Update," Colorado Bankers Association's Community Banker Council, May 2019
"Hemp Legalization: What Your Financial Institution Needs to Know," Colorado Chapter of ACAMs, April 2019
“CFPB Enforcement Action Trends and Predictions,” Western Bankers Association Webinar, November 2018
“Cannabis and Banking,” BKD Financial Services Symposium: Colorado, November 2018
“Cannabis and Banking,” The Colorado Bankers Association’s “State of Banking on the Western Slope” Conference, November 2018
“Legal Implications of Doing Business with the Marijuana Industry,” Business Law Institute, September 2018
“National Cannabis Summit: Banking Considerations,” Colorado Bankers Association, August 2018
"Emerging Risk Areas in Bank Litigation," Colorado Bankers Association Annual Summit, May 2018"Emerging Risk Areas in Bank Litigation," Colorado Bankers Association Annual Summit, May 2018
"Insurance for the Legalized Marijuana Industry," podcast, October 2017
"Hot Trends in Industrial Development-Marijuana and Commercial Real Estate," CREW National Convention, October 2016
"Emerging Litigation & Compliance Issues Concerning Marijuana, CFPB and Data Security", Colorado Bankers Association, January 2016
"Marijuana in Colorado: Advanced Tax, Legal and Accounting Considerations," December 2015
"CFPB and Other State and Federal Regulatory Updates," September 2015
"Managing Risk in Providing Depository Services to Marijuana Related Businesses and Other Cash Intensive Businesses," Stinson Leonard Street Banking Seminar and Federal Regulators Panel/Seminar and Webinar, 2015
"Marijuana, Gambling, Virtual Currencies and Payday Lending: How the Financial Industry Can Avoid the Compliance Pitfalls" live webinar, 2014
Zane has authored numerous articles for publications such as American Bankers Association’s Bank Compliance magazine, Inside Counsel, Bloomberg BNA, Law360 and Law Week Colorado. He regularly presents to industry trade organizations and clients on emerging litigation and compliance issues.
- "Marijuana Investment Lawsuits Are on the Rise: Steps Marijuana Entities and Investors Can Take to Mitigate the Risks," Cannabis Law Journal, July 2020
- "Defenses for CBD Companies Sued for False Labeling, Advertising," Bloomberg Law, March 2020
- "BNA Insights: The Financial Industry Should Be Wary of Rule Limiting Arbitration Provisions," Bloomberg BNA, June 2016
- "Key Considerations for Financial Institutions' Cybersecurity Preparedness," Clarks' Bank Deposits and Payments Monthly, January 2016
- "CFPB Takes Aim at Class Action Waivers in Arbitration," BankDirector.com, November 2015
- "BNA Insights: Navigating CFPB's Consumer Complaint Process," Bloomberg BNA, November 2015
- "Does the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Have Regulatory Authority Over You?," August 2015
- "'Legalized' Marijuana: A Banking Compliance Conundrum," BNA News, 2015
- "Predicting the Top Financial Industry Litigation and Compliance Issues in 2015," Bloomberg BNA, 2014. (This article was mentioned in a Banking Daily piece titled "CFPB Selects New Enforcement Director; Tony Alexis Replaces Kent Markus, Bloomberg BNA., 2015)
- "Data Breaches: What the Financial Industry Needs to Know," The Independent Report, 2014
- "The Rocky Relationship Between the General Counsel and the Corporate Compliance Officer," American Bar Association's Litigation Publication, 2014
- Top 5 Things Financial Institutions Must Do Before Providing Services to the Marijuana Industry," Bloomberg BNA, 2014
- "Understanding the Challenges of Consolidating the General Counsel and Corporate Compliance Officer," Inside Counsel, 2014
- "Cannabis Credit Co-Ops Won't Solve Pot Banking Dilemma," Law360, 2014
- "Colorado's Marijuana Financial System Unlikely to Solve Pot Banking Dilemma," Bloomberg BNA, 2014
- "Smoking Out the Compliance Challenges in the Wake of Marijuana Legalization," ABA Bank Compliance, 2014
- "Financial Industry Should Remain Cautious Despite Marijuana Banking Guidance," Bloomberg BNA, 2014
- "The Legalized Marijuana Industry's Evolution Is an Exercise in Banking Compliance," Bloomberg BNA, 2014
- "Compliance Pitfalls of Business of Pot," Law Week Colorado, 2014
Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
University of Wyoming College of Law, J.D.
- Order of the Coif
- Wyoming Law Review, Contributing Staff, Case Note
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, B.A., magna cum laude, Political Science