Tom’s clients appreciate his creative yet practical approach to transactions, with an eye toward getting the deal done efficiently.
Tom's multi-faceted national practice focuses on real estate and asset-based lending, commercial leasing, zoning and other land use issues for real estate and financial institution clients.
Tom offers significant experience in real estate development and redevelopment financing, such as tax increment financing and other public finance incentives. He counsels some of the country's largest financial institutions, as well as local community banks and REITs, on an array of secured transactions. Tom also maintains a substantial general business practice, serving as a trusted advisor and general counsel to small and entrepreneurial businesses. He has developed experience in the emerging laws involving medical and recreational cannabis, advising landlords and investors involved in marijuana-related businesses, and applicants for cultivation, product manufacturing and dispensary licenses.
Development and Land Use
- Tom formed, and continues to represent, the City of Chesterfield, Missouri’s first community improvement district. He provided related development counsel for a $150 million super-regional outlet mall and mixed-use development.
- He represents developers in Missouri and Illinois involved with tax increment financing, community improvement and transportation development districts, economic incentive tax rebate agreements, tax abatement, tax credits and other public finance incentives.
- Tom was the principal drafter of the Illinois Innovation, Development and Economy Act (also known as the "STAR Bonds Financing Act").
- In Missouri and Illinois, Tom frequently handles zoning, land use, annexation and other municipal approvals for property owners, developers, and commercial tenants in connection with single and multi-family residential developments, office developments, industrial facilities, and other commercial properties.
Real Estate Finance
- Tom devotes a large portion of his practice to representation of a NYSE publicly-traded REIT, drafting and negotiating leases, purchase and sale agreements, development agreements, financing documents, reciprocal easement agreements, and construction contracts for movie theaters, ski resorts, entertainment and retail shopping centers, and vineyards and wineries all over the United States.
- Tom counsels some of the country's largest financial institutions, local community banks and REITs, on a range of secured transactions, documenting commercial and industrial lines of credit, and complex real estate and construction loans. A significant part of Tom’s lending practice involves documenting commercial loans to beer distributors, microbreweries, and other borrowers in the alcoholic beverage industry.
- Tom represents sophisticated real estate investors on all aspects of their commercial real estate investments, including joint venture structuring, LLC operating agreement drafting and negotiation, and fund formation.
News & Insights
- In the News05.02.2019
- Press Release07.31.2017
- Press Release10.12.2015
- Press Release10.30.2014
- Press Release08.26.2014
"Commercial Leasing and the Impact of Tax Reform," Mueller Prost joint presentation, September 26, 2018
"Rolling, Rolling, Keep Those Doggies Rolling: The Issues with Limited Guaranties, Including Rolling Guaranties," ICSC Law Conference seminar, October 25, 2018
"Reciprocal Easement Agreements: Structuring and Amending REAs for Retail and Mixed-Use Project Development," Strafford CLE, June 21, 2018
"Don’t Let the Tail Wag the Dog: Lease Issues which Inadvertently Impact Company Transactions and Operational Decisions," ICSC Law Conference workshop, October 25, 2017
"Subdividing Existing Shopping Centers for Anchor Investment Sales," ICSC Law Conference roundtable, October 28, 2016
"Best Practices for In-House Counsel: Commercial Leasing for Corporate Counsel--From LOI to Lease," St. Louis Association of Corporate Counsel CLE, September 2,2015
Co-Author, “REITS’ Potential to Electrify Midwest Real Estate,” Midwest Real Estate News’ REJ Blog, August 20, 2012
"Laws on Direct Shipment of Wine Persistent Legislative Battleground," Stinson LLP E-Alert, June 2011
Leadership St. Louis Class of 2013-2014
Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers© Rising Star, Real Estate, 2011-2016
St. Louis Business Journal's “40 Under 40,” Class of 2011
Missouri Lawyers Weekly's “Up & Coming,” Class of 2010
National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 2009 Corporate Achiever
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
Angels' Arms, Board Member
St. Louis Art Museum Corporate Partnership Program Committee & SLAM Underground Committee
Clayton-Richmond Heights Merger Joint Study Commission Member and Planning & Zoning Subcommittee Co-Chairman
Volunteer Lawyers and Accountants for the Arts
The Missouri Bar
Illinois State Bar Association
Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
Practices & Industries
- Missouri, 2003
- Illinois, 2004
Washington University, J.D., 2003
- Global Studies Law Review, Editorial Staff
University of Missouri, B.A., Interdisciplinary Studies, with honors, 2000