Chelsea efficiently and effectively delivers creative legal solutions for clients in corporate finance and private equity.
Chelsea focuses her practice on corporate finance, primarily in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, general business law and corporate governance.
She represents publicly and privately held companies, as well as private equity and venture capital funds in mergers, acquisitions, and financing transactions. Chelsea also has experience with offerings of debt securities and with structured finance and securitization transactions.
With her contract drafting experience, Chelsea assists companies - from public companies to startups – strategically approach their commercial contracting needs, including purchase and sale agreements, manufacturing and supply agreements, entity formation documents, joint venture agreements and executive employment documents.
Chelsea has worked on deal teams supporting clients from several industries, including animal health, energy, technology, waste management, financial services and consumer products.
Chelsea has experience representing clients with mergers, acquisitions and venture capital investments, including:
- Acquisition by Waste Management, Inc. (NYSE) of EnviroSolutions, Inc. (terms not disclosed)
- Acquisition by John Zink Hamworthy Combustion of Zolo Technologies, Inc. (terms not disclosed)
- Acquisition by American Angus Association of Verified Beef (terms not disclosed)
- Acquisition by New Balloon of Causeumentary (terms not disclosed)
- Sale of a $14 million investment portfolio held by a government entity to a private investment company
- Sale of franchisee's 44 restaurant franchises located in 7 states to the restaurants' national franchisor for $208 million
- Sale of an 80% limited liability company membership interest for $16 million with a potential of an additional $2.6 million in earn-outs
- Sale of 100% of a sole shareholder's shares for $6 million with a potential of an additional $1.8 million in earn-outs
- Sale of 80% limited liability company interest for $5 million stock sale with additional potential earn-outs
- Investment by Koch Disruptive Technologies in Desktop Metal (terms not disclosed)
She has represented a public utility company issuance of $170 million of first mortgage bonds and $75 million of senior notes.
Chelsea has significant experience representing clients in negotiations of commercial and residential leases, employment agreements, independent contractor agreements and noncompetition agreements.
She also has experience with representing clients with respect to business formations.
News & Insights
- Press Release08.18.2022
- Press Release11.15.2021
- Press Release11.16.2020
- Press Release12.24.2019
- Press Release12.03.2019
- Press Release11.20.2019
- Press Release11.13.2019
- Press Release10.01.2019
"LLCs from Start to Finish," National Business Institute CLE, Kansas City, Missouri, June 15-16, 2016
"Handling the Sale of a Business," National Business Institute CLE, Overland Park, Kansas, February 27, 2017
"Issuing, Dividing, and Transferring Membership Interests," National Business Institute CLE, Overland Park Kansas, March 27, 2017
"LLCs from Start to Finish," National Business Institute CLE, Lenexa, Kansas, April 19-20, 2018
"Responsibility for the Rose: Environmental Policy and the WTO," University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review, Winter 2014
"Progressive or Problematic? Kansas House Bill 2117 and Border War Tax Competition," University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review, February 2014
Named to the 2023 Best Lawyers in America© "Ones to Watch" list
Named a Rising Star by Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® for Mergers & Acquisitions, 2017, 2019-2021
CALI Excellence for the Future Award in the Secured Transactions
West Publishing Company Award for Most Significant Contribution to Legal Scholarship
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Young Friends of Art Leadership Council
- Party Arty Vice-Chair, 2017-2018
- Party Arty Co-Chair, 2018-2019
Practices & Industries
- Missouri, 2014
- Kansas, 2015
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2014
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review, Lead Comment Editor
- The Order of the Barristers
- The Urban Lawyer, Staff Member
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honors Fraternity, Chancellor
University of Missouri-Kansas City, B.A., 2011
- Chancellors Scholar, 2007-2011
- Phi Sigma Tau Philosophy Honors Fraternity
- Intercollegiate Tennis Association Scholar Athlete, 2007-2011