Known for his results-oriented approach, Bob focuses his practice on construction-related claims and disputes and related services for the construction industry.
Bob understands that exceptional results are based on trust. He communicates clearly and easily with the project team, and provides outcomes that deliver on expectations. Ranked as a Band 3 Minnesota construction attorney by Chambers USA, Bob acts as national construction counsel for Fortune 100 companies, and as counsel for large, mid-sized and start-up companies in the greater Midwest region and beyond. He is sought after for his in-depth knowledge of the construction industry and for his ability to assess and successfully resolve construction disputes of nearly all types.
Bob frequently assists clients with complex impact and extra work claims on commercial and industrial projects around the United States. Those disputes arise from bids, schedule issues, delays, disruption, accelerated work, inefficiencies, extra work, payment and performance bonds, mechanic’s liens, indemnity/contribution, and threatened or actual terminations.
His representative projects, including energy savings and power plant projects, encompass the commercial, industrial and residential sectors, and include various delivery types (design-bid-build, design-build, EPC, and others) for new construction, energy retrofits, performance contracts and other formats.
Bob’s project list spans 23 states and several continents including this sampling of substantial projects:
- Bob has worked with all major airports in Texas, the Miami International Airport South Terminal project and Metropolitan Airports Commission Holman Field project (MN).
- In the real estate industry, Bob has assisted Delaware Data Center project (DE), Goldman Sachs/Phoenix project (NJ), Pine Summit Lodges condominium project (MN) and Turnberry Place Condominium projects (NV).
- He gained nationwide experience with the Tennessee Valley Authority Paradise Fossil Fuel Plant project (KY), Gainesville Renewable Energy Center biomass power plant project (FL) and South Boston biomass power plant project (VA), to name a few.
- Bob has completed projects for the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the U.S. Federal District and the U.S. Post Office, including the U.S. Department of Energy DUF 6 Conversion Project (KY) and the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs’ Replacement Medical Center Facility Eastern Colorado Health Care System project (CO) and the German Embassy renovation project (DC).
- His lengthy hospitality experience includes clients such as the Clay Center for the Performing Arts project (W VA), Hoover Dam Visitor Center (NV), Harrah’s Metropolis Hotel and Event Center (IL) and Marriott Marquis hotel project (DC).
- His bi-coastal experience includes the Greystone Hospital project (NY), Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (CA), Harrington Memorial Hospital (MA), Eastern Illinois University project (IL) and Stockton Unified School District projects (CA).
- A sampling of Bob's manufacturing clients includes the Alpha Industries Plastics Plant project (NJ), Intel Semiconductor Fabrication plant (CO), Nike, Inc. project (TN) and North American Stainless project (KY).
- He advised on projects from Texas to South Africa, such as AES Wolf Hollow Water Treatment Plant project (TX) and Northern Wastewater Treatment Works project (Durban, SA).
News & Insights
- Press Release06.20.2019
- Press Release06.13.2019
- Press Release05.07.2019
- Press Release05.03.2018
- Press Release06.06.2016
- Press Release05.19.2015
- Press Release05.27.2014
- Firm Events12.09.2015
Recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Construction Law in Minnesota
Past recipient of the firm’s Pro Bono Service Award in recognition of pro bono service to the community
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
Minnesota State Bar Association, Construction Law Section, Past Chair
Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota, 1986
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2014
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1986
University of Minnesota, M.B.A., with distinction,1983
Economics, St. Olaf College, B.A., Economics, magna cum laude, 1979
- Phi Beta Kappa