Known for his proactive results-oriented approach, Bob focuses his practice on successful resolution of claims, with a primary focus on disputes in the construction, energy and real estate sectors.
Bob understands that exceptional results are based on trust. He communicates clearly and easily with the project team, and provides outcomes that deliver on expectations. Recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Construction Law in Minnesota, Bob acts as national construction counsel for Fortune 100 companies, and as counsel for large, mid-sized and start-up companies in the greater Midwest region and beyond. He is sought after for his in-depth knowledge of the construction industry and for his ability to assess and successfully resolve disputes of nearly all types.
Bob frequently assists clients with complex impact and extra work claims on commercial and industrial projects around the United States. Those disputes arise from bids, schedule issues, delays, disruption, accelerated work, inefficiencies, extra work, payment and performance bonds, mechanic’s liens, indemnity/contribution, and threatened or actual terminations.
Bob frequently assists clients with complex impact claims on commercial and industrial projects around the United States. Those disputes arise from bids, schedule issues, delays, disruption, accelerated work, inefficiencies, changes, payment and performance bonds claims, mechanic’s liens, indemnity/contribution issues, and threatened or actual terminations
His representative projects, including public and private energy savings and power plant projects, encompass the commercial, industrial and residential sectors, and include various delivery types (design-bid-build, design-build, EPC, and others) for new construction, energy retrofits, performance contracts and other formats.
Bob’s project list spans most of the 50 states and several continents, and includes this sampling of substantial projects:
- In the real estate industry, Bob resolved disputes on the Marriott Marquis hotel project (DC), the Delaware Data Center project (DE), Goldman Sachs/Phoenix project (NJ), Prairie Lake Lodges Homeowner Association residential development (MN), and Turnberry Place Condominium projects (NV).
- Bob's energy sector experience includes handling disputes on Gainesville Renewable Energy Center biomass power plant project (FL), the Tennessee Valley Authority Paradise Fossil Fuel Plant project (KY), the South Boston biomass power plant project (VA), the AES Wolf Hollow Water Treatment Plant project (TX), and the Northern Wastewater Treatment Works project (Durban, SA), to name a few.
- In the federal government contracts arena, Bob has completed matters involving the U.S. Department of Energy DUF 6 Conversion Project (KY), the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the U.S. Federal District, the U.S. Post Office, the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs’ Replacement Medical Center Facility Eastern Colorado Health Care System project (CO), the German Embassy renovation project (DC), and the Hoover Dam Visitor Center (NV).
- Other representative experience includes claims resolution regarding the for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory project, (CA); and airport project disputes at the major airports in Texas, the Miami International Airport South Terminal, and the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport and Metropolitan Airports Commission Holman Field.
News & Insights
- Press Release06.20.2019
- Press Release06.13.2019
- Press Release05.07.2019
- Press Release05.03.2018
- Press Release06.06.2017
- Press Release06.06.2016
- Press Release05.19.2015
- Press Release05.27.2014
- Firm Events12.09.2015
Recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Construction Law in Minnesota
Past recipient of the firm’s Pro Bono Service Award in recognition of pro bono service to the community
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
Minnesota State Bar Association, Construction Law Section, Past Chair
Hennepin County Bar Association
Practices & Industries
- Minnesota, 1986
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2014
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1986
University of Minnesota, M.B.A., with distinction,1983
Economics, St. Olaf College, B.A., Economics, magna cum laude, 1979
- Phi Beta Kappa