For nearly a decade, Matt has represented businesses and individuals in complex financial, commercial and construction disputes.
Matt is an experienced commercial litigator whose practice focuses on business torts, financial services, and construction disputes. Matt's clients value his judgment and attention to detail.
During his career, Matt has worked with executives and employers on non-compete matters; represented clients in breach of contract, tortious interference, and breach of fiduciary duty matters; defended businesses against Missouri Merchandising Practices Act (MMPA) claims and class actions; and represented businesses and government entities in actions involving concentrated animal feeding operations (also known as CAFOs). Matt has a national practice and, together with co-counsel, has litigated in courts and arbitrations across the country. He regularly consults with members of Stinson’s real estate, environmental and corporate finance teams.
Prior to joining Stinson, Matt worked as corporate counsel at a national engineering firm headquartered in Kansas City.
- Represented numerous clients in breach of contract, tortious interference, and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Represented a large farm and its principals in litigation against an Iowa cooperative, fifteen of its officers and directors, and outside auditors for claims of breaches of fiduciary duties, fraud, civil RICO and related claims.
- Represented a manufacturing company in a legal malpractice suit against an Am Law 100 firm, arising out of its mishandling of certain trade secrets litigation.
- Represented various clients in malpractice claims against attorneys and accountants.
- Represented a sports league in a trademark infringement action against a former licensee.
- Represented a vineyard in a trademark infringement action with a competitor.
- Represented a personal care products manufacturer in Missouri Merchandising Practices Act class actions.
- Represented a bank in a commercial loan dispute and to enforce personal guarantees.
- Represented a special servicer in a commercial foreclosure matter.
- Represented a national bank in a dispute regarding a letter of credit.
- Represented commercial real estate owners in default and eviction matters.
- Represented a botanical garden in a dispute with a new CAFO and slaughterhouse, successfully revoking the operation’s environmental permit, obtaining injunctive relief, and defending various related decisions in the appellate courts.
- Represented a new wind farm in a zoning dispute with neighbors.
- Represented an owner and developer of a wind farm in a dispute with its balance of plant contractor.
- Represented a contractor in a dispute with a subcontractor on a wind farm transmission line project.
- Represented clients in the negotiation of agreements for professional services and other construction contracts.
News & Insights
- Press Release01.11.2022
"Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the 'Rambo' Litigator," May 2017
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
American Bar Association
- Missouri, 2011
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2016
University of Missouri-Kansas City Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- UMKC Law Review, Literary Editor, Staff Member
- Urban Lawyer Journal, Staff Member
- Order of the Barristers
- National Moot Court Team
Auburn University, B.S., Finance, 2008