Chris works tirelessly to ensure that his real estate and corporate clients are able to swiftly take advantage of opportunities and that their rights are protected in all transactions.
Chris represents purchasers, sellers, lenders, landlords, and tenants in developing strategies and negotiating complex agreements related to sales transactions, leasing, public incentives, and corporate mergers and acquisitions. He has represented clients, including real estate investment trusts (REIT), in the acquisition or sale of more than $1 billion of real estate and the leasing of more than 500,000 square feet of commercial office space.
Keenly aware of the pitfalls and traps in negotiating leases on behalf of both landlords and tenants, Chris carefully and strategically advocates for favorable lease provisions to put them in the best position possible, while mitigating the dreaded "we have a problem phone call." He understands the importance of finding the right capital stack for any project – adding value through the use of special taxing districts, such as the transportation development district (TDD) and community improvement district (CID), the utilization of tax-advantaged structures such as 1031 exchanges and Opportunity Zone funds, and the application for procurement of other HPIP and PEAK incentives in Kansas and the Missouri Works program in Missouri.
- Lead counsel representing a buyer in the $20 million acquisition of a multi-tenant office building in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed client in obtaining a nine-figure incentive package for a $400 million project to construct an 880,000-square-foot omni-channel distribution center in Kansas City, Kansas, which includes the creation of nearly 2,000 jobs.
- Lead counsel representing a tenant in the negotiation of an office lease for the relocation of its headquarters to a new 40,000-square-foot premises in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Represented a REIT in the $50 million acquisition of a 175,000-square-foot multi-tenant office building in Frisco, Texas.
- Lead counsel for a merger and corporate restructuring of a discount retailer in the Kansas City Metro Area.
- Representing several Missouri Community Improvement Districts and Transportation Development Districts with combined annual revenues of roughly $1.5 million.
- Represents a national real estate marketplace and provider of property services in drafting state and local compliant residential lease forms for Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, and North Dakota.
- Lead counsel to a purchaser in a $20 million acquisition of a reverse logistics company and a transportation company operating in the Midwest.
- Counsel to a national fast-food franchisee in its $70 million acquisition of 140 locations in Maryland and Virginia, its $50 million acquisition of 60 locations in Pennsylvania, and its $25 million acquisition of 10 locations in North Carolina.
- Represents a landlord in the negotiation of a lease for a $13 million renovation of a 150,000-square-foot senior living facility in the Kansas City metropolitan area, as well as protecting the landlord's rights in a dispute with the tenant, and the later termination of the lease and pending sale of the facility for a profit.
- Represents a landlord in the drafting and negotiation of office leases for a 230,000-square-foot multi-tenant office building in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Counsel for a purchaser in its $20 million acquisition of assets from a 200-year-old American manufacturing company in a Chapter 353 sale.
- Local Kansas and Missouri counsel, including providing local counsel opinions, for lending transactions totaling in excess of $1 billion of combined loan amounts.
News & Insights
- Press Release08.12.2020
"Equity Income Partners LP v. Chicago Title Insurance Co. and Recovery Under a Lender's Title Insurance Policy in a Falling Real Estate Market," 48 Real Property Trust & Estate Law Journal 391, Fall 2013
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Lower Plains Region
- 2018 Man of the Year, over $180,000 raised (Chapter record)
- Man & Woman of the Year Campaign Co-Chair, 2020-2021
- Man & Woman of the Year Leadership Committee, 2018-Present
Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
- Real Estate Policy Committee, 2018-Present
- genKC (Young Professionals Organization)
- Board of Directors, 2015-2018
- Membership Committee Chair, 2016-2017
Boy Scouts of America, Heart of America Council
- Eagle Scout, 2003
- Council Properties Committee, 2019-Present
- Chairman, Camp Staff Alumni Association, 2015-2019
American Bar Association
- Member, 2014-Present
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Practices & Industries
- Kansas, 2015
- Missouri, 2014
University of Oklahoma College of Law, J.D., with highest honors, 2014
- Order of the Coif
- Oklahoma Law Review, Assistant Managing Editor
University of Oklahoma, B.S., Computer Science, 2011