Free Legal Clinic for Nonprofits and Small Businesses
Nonprofits and small businesses can apply to participate in the clinic here. Applications are due Wednesday, April 26.
On Thursday, June 22, Stinson LLP will host an in-person pro bono legal clinic to assist local nonprofits and small businesses with legal issues facing their organizations. This event has been planned in coordination with the Mid-America Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, the UMKC School of Law, and Kansas Legal Services.
Kansas City and Wichita-area nonprofits and small businesses are invited to apply for limited-scope legal assistance related to:
- Governance systems, policies and procedures
- Employee manuals
- Review of leases or agreements
- Intellectual property
- Other legal issues facing the organization
- Interested nonprofits and small businesses should apply to participate in the clinic by Wednesday, April 26. Danielle Merrick, UMKC Clinical Professor, will review client applications and follow up as needed to clarify legal needs and identify a scope of representation and assign each client to a legal team with appropriate expertise.
- Applications will be screened for conflicts of interest and to ensure that the legal assistance requested is appropriate for a limited service clinic setting. Due to staffing constraints, it is possible that not all applicants will be selected to participate in the clinic. Priority will be given to nonprofits serving low-income clients and nonprofits, as well as small businesses who lack access to legal counsel.
- Nonprofits selected to participate will be notified by late May or early June.
- Selected clients and attorneys will agree on the range of issues to be covered at the clinic and sign an engagement letter in advance.
- June 22 In-Person Clinic Agenda
- 9:45 - 10:00 a.m.: Arrival / Registration
- 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Attorney / Client Meetings
- 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.: Lunch
Don't miss this one-day opportunity to gain pro bono legal support for your nonprofits or small business!
In addition to Stinson LLP and the Mid-America Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, this event has been planned in coordination with the UMKC School of Law, and Kansas Legal Services.
Questions? Contact Danielle Merrick.