Bob is described in Chambers USA as a "very deep and logical thinker who really understands the intricacies of labor law" and is touted as a "consummate labor negotiator."
For more than 40 years, Bob has represented employers regarding their labor issues. He represents employers before the National Labor Relations Board, responds to strikes and picket activity, and provides training to managers concerning how to maintain a union-free workplace. He also represents employers in OSHA and Department of Labor proceedings. He represents colleges in employee (including faculty) negotiations, employee and student due process, compliance with FLSA, FMLA and Title IX, and defends clients in complaints brought by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights.
He negotiates labor agreements, represents clients in decertification elections and unfair labor practice charge proceedings, and defends withdrawal liability claims arising from multi-employer pension trust funds. He also helps clients successfully fight state and federal OSHA citations. Bob’s clients include manufacturing companies, food processors, retailers, construction firms, entertainment entities, cities and colleges.
Successfully defended community colleges in state courts and before administrative agencies regarding due process and protected status and prohibited practice claims
Successfully defended food processors, retailers, and manufacturers in arbitrations stemming from collective bargaining agreements
Obtained favorable decisions for corporations in the construction, food processing, grain and retail industries facing unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB
Defends and resolves OSHA citations before OSHA Area Directors and OSHA Complaints before Administrative Law Judges
Counsels clients on how to maintain union-free workplaces through best-practices management and is the go-to negotiator when issues arise with organized labor
News & Insights
- Press Release08.15.2019
- Press Release05.07.2019
- Press Release08.27.2018
- Press Release05.03.2018
- Press Release08.15.2017
- Press Release06.06.2017
- Press Release08.15.2016
- Press Release06.06.2016
- Press Release10.12.2015
- Press Release05.19.2015
- Press Release10.30.2014
- Press Release08.18.2014
- Press Release05.27.2014
"Union's Duty of Fair Representation," KBA Employment and Labor Law Handbook
"Employment Law," KBA Construction Law Handbook
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© since1995 in Labor and Employment Law – Management and named a "Best Lawyer" 2013 Wichita Labor Law – Management "Lawyer of the Year"
Listed in Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® since 2005
Recognized by Chambers USA as one of the Leading Individuals in Kansas in Labor & Employment Law since 2003 and in Band one since 2009
- "Robert Overman comes recommended for his expertise in labor negotiations and is also noted for his advice regarding OSHA and FLSA compliance. 'He is a very deep and logical thinker who really understands the intricacies of labor law,' a satisfied client reports."
- "Robert Overman is a much-complimented labor law specialist who regularly advises employers in relation to collective bargaining negotiations and union arbitrations. Sources praise his affable manner and strong communication skills, with one saying 'He tells me how it is and is very honest with me; he gives me all the data I need to make the right decision and he does it in a tactful way."
- "Robert Overman is an outstanding employment lawyer who is identified by sources for his expertise in labor matters. He offers a wealth of experience representing employers in a range of matters including FLSA and OSHA compliance, labor negotiations and strike issues."
Named in "Who's Who Legal," the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers
Recognized by the National Institute for Staff & Organizational Development, College of Education, the University of Texas for his presentations at its International Conference on Teaching & Leadership Excellence
Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory has rated Bob at the highest AV® rating for lawyers
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
Iowa Bar Association
Kansas Bar Association, Employment Law Section, Past President
Wichita Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court of Appeals for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
University of Kansas, J.D., with honors, 1973
Kansas State University, B.A., cum laude, 1970