Peers describe Bob as "very talented - the number-one guy in Kansas City," and say: "There is nobody better on banking in this region, from Chicago to Dallas," according to Chambers USA.
As legal counsel to well over 150 financial institutions, Bob uses his financial acumen and regulatory and compliance knowledge to guide strategic acquisitions, structure complex finance plans and advise on regulatory and liability issues.
Attuned to the goals and concerns of financial institutions, Bob brings significant experience to bear in bank and bank holding company acquisitions, bank formations, branch acquisitions, capital raising and recapitalizations. Clients turn to Bob to handle their most complex reorganizations, address their succession planning needs and advise on director and officer liability issues. In this highly regulated industry, Bob represents buyers of failed banks, negotiates regulatory orders and navigates bank examination and interstate banking issues.
Bob represented banking entities in mergers and acquisitions in approximately 20 separate Bank M&A transactions during the past 24 months.
He represented approximately 30 buyers of failed banks during the last 10 years.
Bob has frequently represented clients in "good bank" and "bad bank" acquisitions.
He applies deep knowledge of finance law to represent clients in capital raises.
Bob has extensive experience in preparing regulatory filings with the FDIC, OCC, FRB and various state banking authorities.
He has represented directors before federal and state bank regulatory authorities on the full range of regulatory issues.
Bob assisted clients on all aspects of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (EESA), the Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program (TLGP), the U.S. Treasury's Capital Purchase Program (TARP) and Small Business Lending Fund (SBLF).
Widely respected by his peers in banking and finance, Bob is constantly speaking and writing on banking issues and dedicated 25 years to educating the next generation during his tenure at the University of Colorado Graduate School of Banking.
News & Insights
- Press Release11.22.2022
- Press Release09.29.2022
- Press Release08.18.2022
- Press Release07.19.2022
- Press Release06.23.2022
- Press Release06.17.2022
- Press Release06.02.2022
- Press Release04.11.2022
- Press Release02.01.2022
- Press Release12.29.2021
- Press Release10.20.2021
- Press Release09.07.2021
- Press Release08.24.2021
- Press Release08.19.2021
- Press Release07.02.2021
- Press Release06.09.2021
- Press Release05.25.2021
- Press Release04.06.2021
- Press Release01.19.2021
- Press Release11.23.2020
- Press Release10.05.2020
- Press Release09.29.2020
- Press Release08.24.2020
- Press Release08.20.2020
- Press Release07.29.2020
- Press Release04.29.2020
- Press Release04.01.2020
- Press Release01.01.2020
- Press Release11.11.2019
- Press Release10.25.2019
- Press Release10.21.2019
- Press Release10.01.2019
- Press Release09.26.2019
- Press Release08.27.2019
- Press Release08.19.2019
- Press Release08.15.2019
- Press Release07.30.2019
- Press Release06.28.2019
- Press Release06.14.2019
- Press Release05.07.2019
- Press Release08.27.2018
- Press Release05.03.2018
- Press Release08.15.2017
- Press Release06.06.2017
Bob spoke for 25 years on a variety of crucial banking matters during his time at the University of Colorado Graduate School of Banking. He continues to educate the banking industry by frequently speaking for the Missouri Bankers Association, Missouri Independent Bankers Association, Kansas Bankers Association, Arizona Bankers Association and the Conference of State Bank Supervisors. In addition, he has spoken in front of many groups on banking and corporate law. Finally, Bob has written many articles and booklets on various banking issues for a number of banking organizations.
- “Structuring Bank Mergers and Acquisitions: Overcoming Capital Requirement Hurdles and Other Regulatory Demands”, Strafford webinar, January 13, 2022
- “The Role of the Board,” Bank Directors Bank Board Training Forum, September 13, 2021
- "You are a Bank Director, So What?" Missouri Independent Bankers Association's Directors and Officer webinar, May 15, 2020
- "How Private and Thinly-Traded Companies Can Compete For Acquisitions," Bank Directors Acquire or Be Acquired Conference, January 2019
- "BKD Symposium-Legal Update." November 2018
- "Compliance Management System Expectations for Directors," Missouri Bankers Association, October 2018
- "MIBA – Legal Update," Missouri Independent Bankers Association, September 2018
- "BHCA Legal Conference," Bank Holding Company Association, September 2018.
- "Key Strategies for Community Bank M&A Success," Bank Directors Acquire or Be Acquired Conference, January 2018
- "MIBA – Legal Update," Missouri Independent Bankers Association, September 2017
- "M&A Case Studies for Thinly-Traded & Private Companies," Bank Directors Acquire or Be Acquired Conference, January 2017
- "FinTech - Embracing the Disruption," BKD Symposium, November 2016
- "FinTech - Embracing the Disruption," MIBA Annual Meeting, September 2016
- "M&A Case Studies to Enhance a Community Bank's Value," Bank Directors Acquire or Be Acquired Conference, January 2016
- "CFPB Actions: The Big Gorilla in the Room," Missouri Independent Bankers Association 38th Annual Conference, September 2015
- Firm Events04.11.2019
"Recent News Affecting Banks," MIBA Newsletter, April 2016
"Cyber Security and Board Risks," Missouri Independent Bankers Association, June 2014
Awarded Lifetime Alumni Achievement Award – Westminster College, April 2016
Recognized as "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America® in Financial Services Regulation Law
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Banking Law, Corporate Law, and Mergers & Acquisitions Law
Named Kansas City Banking and Finance "Lawyer of the Year" for 2009 and 2015 by Best Lawyers in America
Named Kansas City Financial Services Regulation "Lawyer of the Year" for 2012 and 2016 by Best Lawyers in America
Selected for the KCMBA Barons of the Boardroom for a distinguished career representing banks and directors
Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers© for Banking
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Corporate/M&A
Received an honorary doctorate degree in Humane Letters from Westminster College
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
American Bar Association, Banking Law Committee
Kansas Bar Association
The Missouri Bar
Missouri Bankers Association, Bank Counsel Section, Former President
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Corporate Law Committee
Kansas Bankers Association
Mid America Assistance Coalition, Former President
Westminster College, Board of Trustees, Trustee Emeritus
Brookridge Country Club, Former President
Great American Basketball League, Former Commissioner and member of Court of Honor
Johnson County Football League, Former General Counsel, with a field named in his honor
Practices & Industries
- Missouri, 1975
- Kansas, 1983
St. Louis University, J.D., cum laude, 1975
Westminster College, B.A., Biology, 1968