Abby has participated in over 50 Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) investigations with subjects including retirement and group health plan service providers, defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, group health plans and master trusts.
Abby dedicates her practice to assisting clients with a variety of employee benefits compliance matters pertaining to health and welfare and retirement plans, including 401(k) plans, Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs) and defined benefit pension plans. Informed by her experience as an investigative assistant for the U.S. Department of Labor's Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) and as an intern for the U.S. Department of Labor's Kansas City Regional Solicitor's Office (RSOL), Abby helps clients develop practical employee benefits solutions and prudent fiduciary processes. She also contributes to the firm's Benefits Notes blog, which provides analysis on hot topics relating to health care reform, retirement plan design and executive compensation.
Abby restates defined benefit and defined contribution plans, including pre-approved plan conversions and complicated non-amender restatements.
She researches questions relating to compensation definitions, fiduciary responsibilities, prohibited transactions, cafeteria plans, wellness plans, wrap plans and other ERISA and Internal Revenue Code compliance matters.
She drafts qualified retirement and health plan documents, including amendments, SPDs, SMMs, investment policy statements, ESOP notes, QDROs, group annuity contracts, determination letter applications and plan termination notices.
News & Insights
"Kanerva v. Weems," Urban Lawyer, Winter 2015
"Kanerva v. Weems," Urban Lawyer, Fall 2014
A review of the Illinois Supreme Court decision involving the pension protection clause of the Illinois constitution.
- "High Points of Trump's Retirement Security Executive Order: MEPs, Benefit Plan Disclosures, Required Minimum Distribution Changes Anticipated" Benefits Notes, September 2018
- "Too Much of a Good Thing? Environmental, Social and Governance Investment Considerations for Plan Fiduciaries (FAB 2018-01 Part 1)" Benefits Notes, May 2018
- "To Be Determined? IRS Requests Comments Regarding Potential Determination Letter Program Expansion in 2019" Benefits Notes, April 2018
- "Thanks for Noticing: Disability Claims Procedure Regulations Change Notice Requirement Next Month, Impose Strict Compliance Standard" Benefits Notes, March 2018
- "IRS Annual Limits on Qualified Plans for 2017" Benefits Notes, October 2016
- "IRS and Treasury Department Seek Input on How Plan Sponsors Can Avoid Plan Document Problems" Benefits Notes, September 2016
- "Proposed Form 5500 Changes & the New Schedule J: Big Changes for Small Group Health Plans" Benefits Notes, July 2016
Pro Bono and Public Service Honors, UMKC School of Law, 2015
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, UMKC School of Law, 2014
Roy A. Larson Scholarship, The Bar Plan Foundation, 2015
William P. Eckels Memorial Scholarship, UMKC School of Law 2013
CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Deferred Compensation, Negotiating Mergers and Acquisitions, Seminar in Employment Law, Evidence, Civil Procedure 1, Criminal Procedure 1 and First Amendment Law
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional & Civic Activities
National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO) Member
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
- Provided volunteer sign language interpreting services for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals receiving income tax preparation services through VITA