Stinson Leonard Street Honored with Minnesota Business 2014 Community Impact Award for Exemplary Pro Bono Service
Stinson Leonard Street was honored with the Pro Bono Professional Services Award at the 2014 Community Impact Awards sponsored by Minnesota Business.
The firm was singled out for its longstanding commitment to providing pro bono legal services to the underserved, including through its innovative Deinard Legal Clinic housed within the Community-University Health Care Center in the Phillips neighborhood of Minneapolis.
Among its pro bono activities, Stinson Leonard Street:
- Has served more than 2,500 patients of the Community-University Health Care Center with more than 102,229 attorney and staff volunteer hours, equating to a dollar value of $21,446,173 in time donated, since 1993. In 2013 alone, the firm’s attorneys and paralegals provided more than 5,100 hours of pro bono service in more than 180 matters for clients referred to the Legal Clinic.
- Donates 5,000 to 7,000 hours annually to public law organizations such as Advocates for Human Rights, Project for Pride in Living, Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, Children’s Law Center of Minnesota, Volunteer Lawyers Network and many more.
- Provides monetary and legal support to the Midwest Innocence Project.
- Contributes to Legal Aid of Western Missouri projects, including adopting the Marlborough neighborhood in Kansas City.
- Volunteers time to pro bono transactional services benefitting more than 120 nonprofit groups.
Stinson Leonard Street is the name of a new law firm formed by the merger of Leonard, Street and Deinard and Stinson Morrison and Hecker. Speaking about the culture of service embedded in the combined firm, Lowell V. Stortz, co-managing partner of Stinson Leonard Street, said: “Giving back to the community has always been a core value. Our commitment to community service across all of our 14 offices has never been stronger or more impactful.”
The Community Impact Awards are presented in 13 categories and honor companies and business leaders with an exceptional track record of giving back and making a positive community impact. You can read more here.