Stinson Minority Fellowship
Over the years, Stinson has provided more than one million dollars in scholarships that supported nearly 70 scholars. In 2018, we launched a new opportunity: the Stinson Minority Fellowship which provides substantial tuition assistance, a dedicated attorney mentor, plus a paid summer associate position. Students from any U.S. ABA-accredited law school are welcome to apply. Details about the fellowship are listed below.
- 1L summer associate position at Stinson
- $15,000 in law school tuition assistance following successful completion of the 1L summer associate program
- Additional $15,000 in law school tuition assistance after successful completion of the 2L summer associate program and Fellow's acceptance of a full time associate position
- Assigned firm mentor
- Be a 1L member of a racial minority group historically underrepresented in the legal profession
- Have a strong academic record as an undergraduate, graduate (if applicable) and law school student
- Be interested in areas of the law that match the firm's practice areas
- Demonstrate strong legal writing skills
- Be committed to practicing law in the firm's locations to which the candidate is seeking a summer associate position (currently only available in Kansas City, Minneapolis, and St. Louis).
- One page cover letter including office preference and academic and leadership/community achievements
- Unofficial or official undergraduate and law school transcripts
- Legal writing sample
- 2 to 3 professional or academic references
- Apply online at recruiting.stinson.com by January 31. In the email or cover letter, indicate that the application is for the Minority Fellowship.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
- I don't attend law school in the Twin Cities area nor Missouri, can I still apply for the fellowship? Yes. As long as you meet the qualifications listed above, we welcome you to apply.
- What are the firm's practice areas?
- How many fellowships are awarded each year? Up to two fellowships may be awarded annually. The firm reserves the right to not award fellowships annually.
- I don't have my grades yet. Should I still apply? Yes. Please update your application materials with your grades as soon as you receive them.
- In what offices do you offer summer associate programs? Currently, the summer associate programs are in our Minneapolis, Kansas City and St. Louis offices. The Fellow should be committed to practice in one of these three locations.
- Is the fellowship summer associate position different than any other summer associate position? No. All summer associates participate in the same summer associate program.. The fellowship summer associate position is paid the same as other summer associates.
- What does "successful completion of the summer associate program" mean? The firm evaluates all summer associates throughout the program to determine if the summer associate is performing at firm standards considering a number of factors. This includes, but is not limited to, work product, attendance and engagement.
- Is the Minority Fellow guaranteed both a 1L and 2L summer associate positions? No. The firm will make a determination as to whether a Fellow will be invited to return for a 2L summer associate position after completion of the 1L summer associate program.
- Is the Minority Fellow guaranteed a full time associate position? No. The firm will make a determination about extending an offer for a full time associate position following the completion of the 2L summer associate program.
- I have received other scholarships from law firms. Am I excluded from being a Fellow? No. Please note in your application cover letter your current scholarships.
- Can I receive the Minority Fellowship if I have other academic scholarships? Speak with your Financial Aid office regarding your financial package and what restrictions you may have.
- Can I receive both the Minority Fellowship and the firm's University of Missouri Diversity Scholarship? Yes. It is possible to be a recipient of both the Minority Fellowship and Diversity Scholarship.
- Can I be both an TCIDP or LCLD Scholar and a Minority Fellow? No, a student may only be a LCLD, TCDIP or Minority Fellow. If you are interested in more than one opportunity, please note your specific interests in your cover letter.
- Where can I find information about other 1L programs? More information about the TCDIP and LCLD 1L programs can be found here. Hyperlink to http://stinson.com/Join_Us/Law_Student_Information/First-Year_Summer_Associate_Opportunities.aspx
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP
The firm established the University of Missouri - Columbia Diversity Scholarship in 2002. The scholarship provides $15,000 per academic year to a law student of color selected by the School of Law. The recipient of the scholarship is invited to participate in the firm's summer associate program. For more information about this scholarship, University of Missouri - Columbia students should contact the admissions office.