Stinson represents numerous software, information and technology companies, and our clients trust us to stay on top of the latest developments in technology and the law and navigate the ever-changing intellectual property landscape. We regularly counsel our clients about the types of intellectual property protection available for Internet- and computer-based systems and the circumstances under which each type is appropriate. Stinson attorneys have the technical backgrounds necessary to quickly understand the product, as well as the legal experience to develop effective strategies for protecting the business interest. Our approach allows us to help our clients recognize opportunities to develop, protect and monetize their intangible assets, while addressing nuanced issues unique to the digital environment, such as patent subject matter eligibility, cybersecurity and data privacy.
We provide a variety of intellectual property services for our clients, including:
- Preparing and prosecuting provisional and non-provisional utility patent applications and design patent applications, along with related foreign patent work, including Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications, foreign regional applications, and foreign national applications;
- Rendering attorney opinions on patentability, freedom-to-operate, validity, infringement, and enforceability;
- Negotiating and drafting agreements for asset purchases, joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions, and inbound and outbound licenses;
- Conducting patent landscape analysis to identify whitespace, forward-looking technology, and design-around strategies;
- Facilitating employee training programs on intellectual property issues;
- Performing intellectual property audits and due diligence; and
- Providing skilled representation in intellectual property litigation, investigations, and post-grant proceedings.
Representative Subject Matter
We have helped numerous clients manage and protect their intellectual property in a diverse range of emerging technologies related to business methods and e-commerce, including:
- Smart devices, including smart phones, tablets, the Internet of Things and artificial intelligence;
- User interfaces, including speech recognition, text-to-speech, natural language processing, image recognition, imaging, virtual reality, augmented reality and user experience management;
- Predictive analytics, including fraud detection, asset management, risk mitigation, data mining and machine learning;
- Positioning systems, including global positioning systems (GPS) devices, localization systems and navigation systems;
- Marketplace services, including e-shopping carts and digital wallets, loyalty and rewards programs, targeted advertising, social media campaigns and payment processing; and
- Information technology, including networking devices, virtual infrastructures, cloud computing, data storage, data security, user authentication and blockchains.
Our clients vary in size from startups to multinational technology companies and come from various industries, including technology, consumer products, media, financial services, health care, energy, transportation, telecommunications, retail and manufacturing.
News & Insights
- Press Release08.16.2018
- Firm Events08.18.2014